Monday, March 9, 2009

Alabama



I have been trying to figure out how to research each state that we want to visit. At first I thought I might go geographically, but I decided that doing that was a separate task in and of itself. So, I'm going back to school! I am going to research each state individually, alphabetically. I had to go get our road atlas to double check that Alabama was indeed the first "A" state! Given that, this research project will need A LOT of help! I would love input from my readers as to what to visit or a "must see" in each destination. Thanks in advance!

Alabama was the 22nd state in the USA; it became a state on December 14, 1819.
State Capital - Montgomery
Largest City - Birmingham
Area - 52,423 square miles [Alabama is the 30th biggest state in the USA]
Population - 4,447,100 (as of 2000) [Alabama is the 23rd most populous state in the USA]
Name for Residents - Alabamans
Major Industries - agriculture (cotton, corn, peanuts, soybeans, poultry, and livestock), hydroelectric power, mining (coal, limestone, iron ore), steel-making

This looks like a cool site to do a basic "State Study" with your kids.

Clearly we are the Burmingham's so we HAVE to go to Burmingham. So my next task is to figure out what to do there!

Here are my initial finds:
Thinktank is....

Everything you thought you knew about the world - but didn't! Find out about your world and yourself in our ten themed, hands-on galleries. Surprising! Hard to believe! And sometimes downright disgusting!! The perfect family day out. This looks cool!


And Rebecca is already drooling over Cadbury World- Where Chocolate comes to life!

No comments:

Post a Comment